I promised I would create a collective of things to sum up the year that was 2017. I thought picking out my top albums was hard… I think I underestimated just how hard it would be to pick out my top songs! I am currently looking at a shortlist of 50 songs, that I want to try to put into a top 10, with an additional honorary list….here goes nothing.
I feel like 2017 was such a good year of music for me. I really branched out and listened to a variety of different genres and artists. That, however, is my ultimate downfall, for now I have to reminisce on all the bops, and rate them. CAN YOU CHOOSE WHICH CHILD IS YOUR FAVOURITE? NO. You can’t.
side note: To ensure that I keep my relationship with my boyfriend, my best friend, and pretty much everyone else I care about, I will NOT be including Big Shaq Mans Not Hot in this list, even though we all know it was number 1
T O P . T E N
- Believer – Imagine Dragons: My ULTIMATE hype song, for gym, for getting ready to go out, for trying to convince myself that I can indeed eat a whole bowl of noodles. There is just something so satisfying by yelling ‘PAIN’.
- Angels – Khalid: Ever since I saw Khalid perform Angels live, I have embraced it even more so. He belted it out, with such passion and rawness. It was utterly beautiful, and so is the song. It shows vulnerability, while still showing his strength as an artist.
- Humble. – Kendrick Lamar: Even though all i can see in my head when I hear this song is THIS video, it is still easily one of the BEST songs of 2017. It’s just a punchy hit, and it’s impossible to not want to move along to the beat.
- Mi Gente – J Balvin, Willy William: Mi Gente is a remix to Willy William’s song Voodoo Song, released also this year. Reggaeton is not a new genre, but it certainly hit the charts BIG this year (Despacito…duh). I have listened to this song at least 2309 times, yet I still can’t help but move my body to it.
- I’m The One – DJ Khaled, Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance The Rapper, Lil Wayne: THEN SHE WENT AND PUT THAT BOOTY ON THAT GUCCI BELT. Released at the start of the year, I went through a period where I really didn’t listen to anything else BUT this.
- Despacito (Remix) – Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, Justin Bieber: I really didn’t want to include this in my top 10…but considering I was that annoying **** of a person who played this on repeat everyday, I feel like it would be a sin to not include it. I think it has to be the Reggaeton vibe that gets me going.
- Another Sad Love Song – Khalid: Not only is this really the first year that Khalid broke into the music industry, but the kid is 19…If a 19-year-old can produce a debut album like American Teen, I am not prepared to see what he brings out in the future. This song is definitely one of those driving songs…the ones you have blasted on 50+ volume singing “BURNING BURNING BURNING DADADADADA”.
- Perfect – Ed Sheeran: Ed just knows how to make every girl want to get married, not to actually get married, but just to have a wedding so that they can use one of his songs as the first dance. It’s a conspiracy. I have to admit, everytime I hear this song I get all giddy and love-sick, so good job Ed. Good JOB.
- SWEET – Brockhampton: “DON’T CALL ME … STUPID …THAT AIN’T…THE WAY.. MY NAME… PRONOUNCED!” I recall a night at volleyball when myself and my best friend were yelling this and then proceeded to fall into a pit of laughter….IT’S SO CATCHY OKAY.
- Shape of You – Ed Sheeran: I go through a love-hate relationship with this song. I played it so much when it was released, cause I loved that latin vibe it brings. Every now and then I bring it back, like how you bring Michael Bublé out for fun at Christmas but then put him back on the 26th. REGARDLESS, there is no denying it was a huge hit this year, and because I can still feel the need to move along to the song, it has to make my list.
A LIST OF OTHER SONGS THAT WERE STILL BOPS BUT THEY DIDN’T BOP TO THE TOP
- Thunder / Young Dumb & Broke Medley – Imagine Dragons, Khalid
- XO TOUR Llif3 – Lil Uzi Vert
- Kiwi – Harry Styles
- Woman – Harry Styles
- DNA. – Kendrick Lamar
- Perfect Places – Lorde
- Forever Young – Lil Yachty
- Location – Khalid
- Lay It On Me – Vance Joy
- Boys – Charli XCX
- Lemon – N.E.R.D, Rihanna
- Sally – Thundamentals
- He Like That – Fifth Harmony
- Too Good At Goodbyes – Sam Smith
- Marmalade – Macklemore, Lil Yachty
- Rockstar – Post Malone
- Candy Paint – Post Malone
- Sky Walker – Miguel
- Thunder – Imagine Dragons
- Bright Dawn – Kuren, Illy
Okay, three hours and a few meltdowns later and I am done with this post. You have no idea how hard it was for me. I get obsessed with a LOT of different music every month, let alone every year, so it was a definite challenge. Let me know below what your favourite song of 2017 was!